Logic Pro 10.7.5: 3D audio source below ear level

Moderatoren: d/flt prod., MarkDVC, Mods

Antworten
emanuelleuname
Grünschnabel

Logic Pro 10.7.5: 3D audio source below ear level

Beitrag von emanuelleuname »

Hello everyone, I would like to augment the sound of footsteps in 3D. Front/back and left/right work, but I fail to make it sound like a source is coming from below. Can you recommend any plug-in or effect that could help to create this feeling in addition to spatial audio?

Any hint would be very much appreciated!

Setup: Logic Pro 10.7.5 with Spatial Audio/Dolby Atmos and Airpods Max
Peter Ostry
Mediator
Logic Version: 0

Re: Logic Pro 10.7.5: 3D audio source below ear level

Beitrag von Peter Ostry »

Humans do not have good sensors for vertical hearing. It's already bad at the top and we can hardly localize sounds from the bottom. Vertical localization takes place on the outer ear and many animals can move their ears for this. Mounting a loudspeaker underneath you can help, but you'd still have to tilt your head sideways to be sure where the sound is coming from.

Our forum colleague Christian Luther (@hugoderwolf) explains the basics in two articles in English:
Sound Localization Basics
Sound Localization In The Median Plane
In the second article, look at the diagram of Blauert's bands. They don't even show a curve for hearing from below. I assume that Mr. Blauert's probands could not sufficiently localize sounds from this direction.

So the answer to your question is:
You can't process your sound so that every listener registers it as coming from below. Not all of us sit inside a spherical array of speakers ;-)

emanuelleuname hat geschrieben: 04 Apr 2023 - 7:58 Setup: Logic Pro 10.7.5 with ... Airpods Max
Because vertical localisation occurs, if at all, on the outer ear, you are worse off with your headphones than with loudspeakers.

BTW, our forum language is German, please write in German.
I recommend DeepL for translation.
(Noticeably better than the current Google Translate)
Es ist ein Brauch von alters her:
Wer Sorgen hat, hat auch Likör!
Antworten